View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #149
BBEEP

Re: 52 GMC Envoy Burb meld/build

Test fitting the front fenders. The drivers side wheel is set back some because the Envoy frame was bent in the accident. Once the body is where we want it, I will take it to get the frame straightened. This thing sits LOW, so therein lies a problem. The bottom of the front fender is only about 7 inches off the ground. The track on the Envoy is wider than the AD, and the fenders sit so low that I can't turn the wheels side to side. We will raise the cowl about an inch, which in turn will raise the fenders--just not enough.
Do I:
1) section the original fenders & make them a couple of inches wider to accomodate the wheels turn radius.
2) find some larger 'truck' fenders and adapt them.
3) change the radius of the wheel opening altogether.
I do plan to widen the rear fenders about 2 inches to allow for a bigger tire. I want to delete the 'welting' and weld the fenders on. Later I may decide to even bring the running boards out slightly.
And what do you think of where the rear wheel fits in the opening? Also, the 17's are about the smallest diameter I can go because of the brakes. Looking at the back, I can probably go with a 20x10 wheel after the widening--and you won't see the tire above the top of the rim.
Attached Images

61 Impala Wagon SOLD BARRETT JACKSON SCOTTSDALE 1-18-13
67 c/10 SOLD 2012
71 SS454
77 c/20 Sold 11-11-15
08 TBSS The Wife's car!!
50 GMC School Bus SOLD 11-7-10
29 F**D Delivery (Chevy powered) SOLD 11-4-11

53 GMC 630 Firetruck/Ramp Truck
BBEEP is offline   Reply With Quote