View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 08:09 AM   #235
hewittca

Re: Green Gus the 68 shortbed convert

So now that the shortbed conversion is done and I'm in between large projects, I've been thinking about a few other small things I wanted to do on the truck. One of those was shaving the sidewalls. I hate the look of modern sidewall designs, especially on low profile tires. So, I started attacking (very carefully!) my tires with a very worn out 60 grit flapper wheel. I was surprised with how quickly and smoothly this method knocked all marking off the sidewall. The finish was a completely smooth and matte finish. I think this added the perfect touch to finish off the vintage inspired look of this wheel/tire combo. Most people would probably never notice it, but to me it made a big difference in the way the tires look in person as you walk around the truck.

Now that the sidewalls are smooth, I'm considering another vintage touch to this setup, white line tires. On my Malibu, I painted thin whites on the tires with great success, so I'm considering doing it on the truck as well since many of these truck came with them. For now, I just drew them on with chalk to get an idea of how it looks. I definitely like it but am not ready to commit to it yet because I also really like the blackwall look too. For now, it's fun to just draw them on when I want.

Now, what should I ruin next?
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote