View Single Post
Old 04-03-2024, 10:03 AM   #196
Vic1947

Re: 65 Fairlane pro-touring build

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
Supply house called applicater and panel bond is there, curious he said to apply over bare metal, don't know as I would think it would be an area to rust, might try a painted test piece to see how it bonds

Congratulations on retirement that seems to be a more practical gift then a gold watch that you only wear on special occasions

What field of employment did you work?

Nice work on the wheel tub
Thanks, Jim. I have no experience painting the lap joint. I always use it on bare metal. I did my PS wheel tub yesterday and applied the adhesive that way then cleaned the edges with lacquer thinner. I think I remember a 3M tech article that said you could apply a DTM paint to the surfaces but not to do that if you planned to also spot weld. I think if you lay down a good coat of epoxy primer over everything after the fact you won't have a problem with corrosion.

I used several clecos to position the parts prior to riveting them together with stainless fasteners. I then soaked the clecos in thinner and blew them out with compressed air and they seem no worse for the wear. I used some old ones that could be sacrificed just in case.

After a stint in the Navy as an aviation electronics technician, I used the GI bill to get an engineering degree and went to work in the oil patch. When that went in the crapper in the mid 80's I migrated into the software business as a sales engineer. Got canned in a reorganization late in life and was unable to find work until a good buddy helped me get an inside sales job at a machine tool company. Finally got my sack just barely full enough to retire and I'm livin' large now.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote