Thread: Fuel Tank Fun
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006, 09:44 PM   #22
herb101
Used Register

Re: Fuel Tank Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarons72s View Post
Since they want to clean the old junk tank(why) id fill the old tank with water and take a air chiesel and cut about 6 inches from the filler neck, cut around it then take that peace and your new tank to the shop. Quick, easy and no sparks.
Aaron
LOL

Pretty much what I did...Drained the gas, filled it with water, played with the soldering iron with no love, played with the heat gun with no love, never got the balls to try the propane torch as the fumes coming off were still VISIBLE even with the water flowing through it. I finally decided to just take a good old-fashioned hack saw and, well, hack! I was able to easily cut down both sides and across the top, then just worked the bottom back and forth until the tank metal fatigued (not much work with steel tissue paper). I took it a step further and torched out the solder and removed the tank scrap and cleaned up the neck.

BTW folks, the new neck is not soldered in place, it is brazed on. I tried the propane torch first, then stepped up to the Oxy-Mapp with no progress. The whole area will get a uniform orange glow with no difference visible in the seamming material. I'll take it in to a pro manana and see what they can do for me, now that the "dangerous" part is done (wimps! - LOL).

Herb

edit - oh by the way, the rusty scale on the inside of the tank piece on the old filler neck supported a healthy flame for a good couple minutes during the clean-up process.

Last edited by herb101; 10-11-2006 at 09:46 PM. Reason: oh by the way....