View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 02:29 PM   #8
Haggar

Re: 1971 Jimmy with 6.0 LQ4 / 4L65, 4" lift/33s.. basic family fun cruiser

For the intake, I got one of the 4" plastic builders kits with the different bends, and a few silicone 4" couplers. I got a universal K&N cone style, which had a small stud at the end. I routed the filter over behind the drives side headlight, with a bracket that I made to hold this stud to keep the intake secure. The MAF is in this run, near the filter. I cut some plastic, and made a box around the filter, to be a cold air intake, as I was seeing IATs over 120F. I cut an opening in the front of the inner fender to let in outside air.

For gauges, I had a set of VDO cockpit whites in an old Jeep dash that I built (I *really* had too much laying around the barn..). I installed the corresponding fuel sender in the tank when I did the pump. For the oil pressure sender, I took the OEM GM sender at the back of the block by the intake manifold, and gutted it, drilled and tapped it to accept the VDO sender. The GM one is only to supply the stock truck dash, not used by the ECM for anything. The water temp is always tricky to get into the passenger head without drilling and retapping it. However, there is a block heater block near the starter that goes to the water jacket, so I have an adapter fitting here with my water temp sender. I also installed a trans temp gauge, which the sender screwed in without any adapter into the pressure test port near the shift selector on the 4L65e. Both the water temp and trans temp match well to the data that I read out of the ECM with my HP Tuners scanner. The tach is driven by the ECM, with the tach itself being configured as a 4 cyl, and a 1k pullup resistor on the tach signal line. The VDO Speedometer is hooked directly to the ECM sppedo output, and I can fine tune it with the PPM output and tire size in HP Tuners.

The gauges are just temporary for now, I Will make a nicer gauge cluster that looks 1971 but uses the modern guts. For now, I gutted a spare gauge cluster and the small gauges fill the bottom 4 slots. I also have an NTK wideband, which is mounted in the center of the cluster in a bezel that I 3d printed. There are also indicators there for the high beams and check engine.
Attached Images

Last edited by Haggar; 09-07-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote