View Single Post
Old 07-11-2016, 07:59 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Re: Saturday Evening Post Blazer

Very cool move! That's how I feel when selling things to anyone. If I can read how badly they want it (for themselves, not to resell) I ask, "Do you really want that?", which usually gets a, "Sure do, but just can't spend that much". See the humble? They didn't try to beat me up, just accept they can't have it. Depending on value, I either give it to them or make an offer they can't refuse...that I figure they may have enough for. I had a stack of 69-72 wheel covers of various condition, at least 6-8 of them. This old guy was sifting through, treating them very carefully, for a good while like it was a big decision. I asked if he needed those and he said he could use a couple. I said, "20 bucks" and he humbly said, "For this one?", which he had his hand on. "No. all of them. Take 'em home and sort it out later". He smiled as wide as his face and shook my hand. He was certainly no kid, just an old guy trying to do what he could on his old truck (I found out in our conversation). I do swap meets to have fun. It's fun making some money, but that ain't all!
I always talk to the kids like they were one of the guys. I show a lot of interest, ask them questions, and try to throw a "Did you know?" little tid bit in. They say young people aren't so interested in what older people do or say and not so interested in the older stuff. But, how much interest do older people actually take in the little ones. They are there ready to listen, you just have to talk to them.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote