View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 05:13 AM   #227
MacQuigley

Re: Super Duper Haggis Hauler II - The Resurrection

So the last couple of weekends have been filled with various jobs.

First thing to sort out was the issue with the "sludge" I found under the passenger valve cover.

After getting the intake off I could see no signs of any water contamination and when I pulled the drivers side valve cover and found similar sludge I took a chance that this wasnt the result of a blown head gasket (what are the chances of both blowing at exactly the same time!?!) and decided to put it all back together, after resetting all the valves.

This time I sealed the front and back with a bead of silicon that I let skin over before fitting the intake and torquing down.

So with it all back together, I cant say she fired up first time but she did fire up and seems to be running just fine. I reckon that the last couple of times Id run the engine I didnt run it long enough to let it really heat up and it was really cold out. I think, I hope what I found under the valve covers was just condensation mixing with oil. There was absolutely no signs of oil and water mixing anywhere else.

One very positive thing about doing all this, not including the fact I got the intake repainted at the same time, is the fact that oil leak I had at the back end of the engine seems to have been cured. Not sure whether thats down to the fact that Ive sealed the intake better than before, or whether the new PCV valve is operating better or maybe that the vacuum connection to the new PCV valve is better than before but no matter the reason at least I dont need to take the oil pan off to replace the rear main seal or the pan gasket!

This weekend I started by lengthening the shifter lever. Must admit this is the first time Im been disappointed with Summit. I bought a new Hurst shifter believing the lever was bolt in as Hurst only make bolt in now and there was nothing on the Summit website to suggest otherwise. Unfortunately this turned out not to be the case and according to the Hurst technical support this shifter has been modified by someone other than Hurst. So anyway Im left with what I have (though Hurst have pointed me in the direction of someone who can help with parts if ever I need them) and after a but of cutting and welding Ive now got the shifter lever in a position that makes it easy to shift.

The only issue with the transmission now is the fact that I noticed that when I run the engine its permanently engaged even when in neutral. Looks like Ive knocked something out so thats this weeks task to fix.

Anyway by the time Id finished the shifter on Saturday I wanted to move onto different things so on Sunday I decided to move onto the bed and rear end.

First I set the bed sided into the correct positions and spaced it up so I could check the tyre to fender clearance which was worrying me a little. So with a little fine tuning of the panhard arm I think Ive now got enough clearance. Its still tight but I will see how his works.

Next I decided to torque up all the rear axle, suspension and I fit the parking brake cables.

Then I did a bit of a trial fit of the new bed wood. I wanted to do this more to see if I hwas OK with the natural colour of the wood or to see if I wanted to darken it. Ive decided to keep it as it is. Its a little light but any stain I could put on it is just too dark.

Name:  20190428_114759.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  36.2 KB

Finally I got the rear mufflers fitted and the last of the hangers in place. Only got a couple of tail pipes to fit and thats the exhaust complete.

Name:  20190428_181244_003.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  36.5 KB

So, Im hoping to pick up my new propshaft today or tomorrow and if I can figure out whats up with the transmission tonight then by the end of the week I may actually have a vehicle I can drive. Now that would be NICE!
MacQuigley is offline   Reply With Quote