View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 06:25 PM   #52
SCOTI

Re: 66 C50 Cummins build aka Big Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Candy Inside View Post
I got the rear end welded up. I then made a battery tray. Sorry the pic is terrible. I wanted to keep the battery close to the starter so I decided to mount it on the side of the frame next to the drivers side front cab mount. I needed it to be close to he body for ground clearance but that makes it hard to swap or install cables. I got creative and I made side matching plates that have a slot in them and allow the battery tray to slice down 4” since this plates are welded to the frame and not the tray. Install the battery then slide it up into place and lock it down with the 4 bolts that go through the side brackets and into the lower battery tray. Works out great.
Sounds similar to an install I did. I mounted/bolted side flanges to the frame that are drilled for 4x 3/8" fasteners. I made a battery 'tray' that secures the battery & slides up/into the flanges on the frame. I use 2x unthreaded pins to temp hold the batt/tray in place while installing 2x of the 3/8" retaining bolts, then pull the pins & put the other 2 bolts in place.

I can use a floor jack if @ home/the shop but it can also be removed as long as you can bench press the initial weight of the batt w/tray. I built it to allow service regardless of where it is. The battery also has the top + side terminals for easy-ish jump start connections. Cumbersome, but serviceable. Definitely cleaned up the engine compartment.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote