View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #80
XtechX

Re: Project Goldilocks, '66 C10 SWB BBW Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
Just laid the bed wood out and found that the outer boards aren't wide enough. Whoever made them grooved both sides just like an inner board. I'll have to get more cut to fit under the inner bedsides. Otherwise, they look good and measure out fine, other than being about an 1/8" too long (going by classicheartbeat.com's measurements). Better than being too short though!

I've decided to paint the wood low gloss black like I did with the '65. Even after taking more time to prep the wood better, and adding coat after coat of stain, I couldn't get it as dark as I wanted it. And once I got the wood laid out today, I'm not that crazy about the grain pattern anyways. Painting it black will look more original, and I've had to remind myself that I'm leaving the truck as stock/original as possible, other than lowering it.

Had an extra cross mount to check the fit of the wood strips with. Looks about right.

The outer planks with the both ends milled for wear strips.

I am getting ready to make my own bed wood and I was looking at pics of yours. I can't be totally sure, but it looks like you didn't dado bed strip grooves in your wood. Will that be enough to hold the wood where it's suppose to be? If so, that will make my wood working alot easier, all I have to do is router the shelf in the edges of the planks, right? I also must say that the black wood in your other truck looks awsome!!! I'm still torn between the everyday cleared oak or the stock but different than most black.