View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #89
theastronaut

Re: Project Goldilocks, '66 C10 SWB BBW Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
Very, very nice work! I really like your attention to detail. All of that extra work will really pay off in the finished product.

Your tape template trick works well, as I have used it before. Another trick that works is to use a scrap piece of sheetmetal and double-back tape it or loop some duct tape to keep it in position.

I work in aerospace, and when we transfer holes, we use a drill bushing that has an O.D. that fits in the hole in the part (in your case, a 1/4" or .250"). The I.D. of the bushing has a small hole, usually around a .080". When you pop the holes, it's dead center in the middle, and then you remove the part and the bushing, and then step-drill to the final size. You can find drill bushings on-line in places like ebay.

A lot of times, guys fight drilling holes in steel because they try to drill the final hole size at the start. Always step drill, and work slowly. It'll save your drill bits from wearing out, and it'll keep you from breaking your fingers when the drill catches at the end. Been there, done that, but usually with a drill press. Those things can be evil

I'd never heard of drill bushings before, I'll have to look those up. Good to know! I did start out with a 3/16th hole before working up to a 3/8" bit for the air bag mounts, then 1/2" for the air line fitting, then using the air grinder and a carbide burr to open the hole up the rest of the way. I should have used a hole saw for the air line fitting; I'll know better when I do the other side though. I went slowly and used alot of pressure on the bit and kept it cool by spraying it with glass cleaner every few seconds. The bits aren't discolored or dull yet so I guess my method is working ok.

I use the looped tape trick all the time to keep masking paper/plastic in place, remembered that one from hanging up pictures of trucks I'd drawn in kindergarten
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote