View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
Firebirdjones

Re: Got a 6.2 diseasal... should I put a 700r4 or a Turbo400 behind it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal30_sniper View Post
I'm dropping the TH700 out of my 90 parts car behind my 454 3/4 ton as soon as possible. I took a freshly rebuilt trans and added a B&M shift kit and traveller torque converter, along with a +3qt pan and Hayden transmission cooler. Many happy miles of towing my boat in overdrive and not a problem. The trick to the TH700 is keeping it cool, and keeping the tv cable adjusted. The overdrive will make a big difference I the rpms you see on the highway. May not net you much gas mileage, but it'll make your engine last a lot longer.
Posted via Mobile Device
I wouldn't recommend towing with a 700 in overdrive. With light loads it might be doable. I assume your boat isn't overly heavy? Obviously you've been getting away with it.

My tow rig is a 79 1 ton now with a 502 (originally 454) and the original 400 turbo. Since I'd like to tow in overdrive I've been looking at alot of options. What I'm doing since most of your transmissions don't recommend towing in overdrive is installing a gear vendor unit on the back of the original 400 turbo. Not only can I use the gear reduction to tow with, it's also a gear splitter assentially making the 400 a 6 speed, keeping the gears close and rpms in a sweat spot while pulling those heavy loads from a stop light. Similar to what the Allisons do in the turbo diesels.
Since I pull a 10,000 lbs. trailer I figure the gear vendor is the best option for me. I actually have a 4L80E here and decided against it.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote