View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #25
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Re: Project - '69 4x4 named "Patches"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdailey View Post
As you all know, doing a build takes plenty of time and lots of money and I like most everyone else have little of both.

As of late I've been trying to acquire parts as money allowed. I had to do a little work on the frame before taking it to the sandblaster. The frame had some stress cracks coming off the bolt holes at the rear leaf spring hangers.

Off to the sandblaster...

I'm swapping the closed knuckle drum brakes axles for a set of disc brake axles from a '72 Blazer. (Thanks Tim)

In the meantime, I tried to save money by cleaning the axles myself. What a mistake that was and what a chore.

Before...

After...

Tool used...
As far as your tool selection, that is why your having such a rough time of it, what you need is a...

PFRED "Flap Disc" you don't use a lot of pressure with them, they will tear down the surface imperfections swiftly and efficiently.

More info on PERFD's site These are the discs you will need, when picking them up make sure you don't get the ones for stainless or aluminum, they wont work. As well absolutely do not use these discs on Stainless Steel, or Aluminum because they can potentially explode violently.

The wire wheel that you were using is actually primarily used to remove grease and carbon deposits, not rust, as well their other primary function is to remove slag and clean a weld of smoke residue in SMAW or FCAW welding.

I will be watching your build, it looks to me like your fixing to have a damn nice truck on your hands.

Last edited by MrBeast; 03-18-2008 at 06:07 PM.
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote