View Single Post
Old 11-30-2013, 04:24 AM   #50
Step'67

Re: Plasti Dipped the '67

As Haggis said, the nicer your "spray booth" the less contaminants will attach to the paint. You don't need to go crazy, and you can just paint it outdoors, but doing it indoors, hanging some plastic, and removing as much dust as possible goes a long ways. Painting out of a rattle can with this stuff is just like using spray paint, it can be done (Evaded's rides look very good), but usually doesn't look nearly as good (uneven, striping, etc). If you do it "the right way" with actual thinned Dip out of an HVLP gun, one can achieve much better results. You can easily do an entire vehicle in one day, from prep to baking it in the sun using an HVLP gun.

While Haggis said it's cheaper to use the spray cans, that's true if you are taking into account buying the sprayer as well. But for around $25, thinning the Dip yourself, you could have nearly a gallon of sprayable Dip, ready to produce much better results and a much smoother more consistent finish. If you're on a tight budget, or don't want to justify buying the sprayer, that makes sense. But if you can afford the sprayer (or even a cheap Harbor Freight HVLP gun that the Dip community says still works great) I'm more of a fan of, if you're going to do it, do it right.

In regards to the question about covering patina with it. As long as it is well prepped, free of any dirt, debris, paint chips, etc, theoretically it should cover just fine. I used clear Plasti Dip to make my own color, so you could just spray it with the clear Dip without mixing any pigments in it. Or use Plasti Dip gloss, just depends on the look you're going for.

Last edited by Step'67; 11-30-2013 at 04:41 AM.
Step'67 is offline   Reply With Quote