View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Converted half a dozen shades of blue interior pieces to black

I have a '69 that came with the one year only dark navy interior. While I like the navy, I resent it at the same time. They don't make any interior pieces that shade anymore. I had to replace my cracked dash pad recently, so I went with black. Besides, even if I could have found a blue dash pad, or painted it navy, it just gets way too hard to match the blue for all the different types of materials, from vinyl to metal.

Even from the factory, the sun visors were a very strange light shade of blue that didn't match anything on the truck. The steering column and wheel were a different shade from the door panels and the dashboard.

So, there's a little background as to why I switched. I'm very pleased with the results. Here's how I did it:

Start by cleaning your vinyl pieces with something like 409, that takes off grease, dirt, and interior shining products.

Next, spray the pieces with an adhesion promoter. I used Duplicolor from Autozone. It is clear, and helps the topcoat stick better. Use 2 light coats with a few minutes dry time between, and then start your top coat within 10 minutes. Use 3 or 4 light coats. This is key, to achieve the factory look I did. These parts don't look painted, and that's why. If you lay it on thick and wet, you will drip and get a painted look.

I hung the visors, since they have to be painted on both sides. Notice my makeshift paint booth in the closet on the balcony lol. It actually works really well, and I've painted a lot of truck parts in there

Here are the door panels converted to black, as well as the arm rests

And the visors (note that the triangular shaped mounting points are metal, so I used Rustoleum gloss black metal paint on them)

Here's the new dash pad and the dashboard I painted flat black with Rustoleum metal paint a couple weeks ago

Next up, I get to paint and clearcoat my steering wheel, as well as the steering column
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote