View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #28
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Re: 1947 Panel Truck Frame swap with ’88 k2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Series View Post
My k2500 is the 6-lug. Does the 8-lug k2500 have a wider tread? I read where someone swapped the 6-lug to 8-lug spindle and modified the upper A-arm, that’s my plan. The diffs are 3.73, the ’88 8-lug rear in the ’47 is also 3.73. I was concerned about how the rear works with the RWAL (Rear Wheel Anti-Lock) system. I don’t see any wires to the rear axle. The schematic show the VSS supplies the signal for that system, so it should be good to swap the rear.
My local guy swapped his completely over to 8 lug with little or no effort. Swapped spindles and the axle. I don't think there is a significant width difference. Anti-lock I think just was a speed sensor in trans for 88. Nothing high tech there and you can by-pass it by ripping out the ABS box and running brakes direct. Those things are probably failed by now anyway!

I'll get pics of Eli's truck soon. He's tearing stuff apart again working on some body work right now. It's been up and down over the last 10 years. A giant wheelbarrow full of storage for at least 6. The nice thing was getting a set of 93-94 extended cab bucket seats. They sit almost perfect on the riser and give you a flip forward/slide forward option on the passenger seat for rear access if you need. No major mounting issues, either because the frames are about square and flat unlike about every other front seat you run into!
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote