View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 04:40 PM   #30
Second Series

Re: 1947 Panel Truck Frame swap with ’88 k2500

I received one box of parts minus a few on back order. The back ordered parts arrived this week, but one part was off by a couple digits so I’ll have to wait until they get the right part in stock before I can return this. I spent some time in the wrecking yard, scored a couple front seats out of a Astro van for $40. I tried to get the front spindles off a k2500, but got burned out after two hours. I didn’t have the right tools, my time was running out, but what I mostly needed was a cheeseburger. On the way out I saw a barebones steering column in a jeep. I’ll try to get back there after work soon. Yesterday I ordered some bullet tail lights.
Two weeks ago I drove my panel truck for the last time, as it is, to the resto shop. This week I drove the ’88 GMC there, the panel truck was being dismantled and they hit me with a healthy bill. Today I got a call that the GMC bed has been removed and most of the panel truck parts are ready to get blasted. I thought I could recoup a little by hauling the extra parts off myself, but I don’t have the time, don’t want to pay to store them, so it’s off to the scrappers with the ’88 GMC bed.
I’m still trying to decide on the color. I had wanted a very dark purple that looks black, when I started driving the panel truck over 20 years ago. I still think that would be cool, but something subdued might be better for a daily driver. I’m considering two-tone grey, or grey and midnight purple. The resto guy said he likes to use the vintage colors on builds like this, but that it’s my decision. I have been looking at the vintage colors, but in 1947 the Forester Green was the standard. There were a handful of options, and two-tone wasn’t available until ’54 then it was just white for the top half. I recently went on a road trip a saw a couple vehicles with a light blue on the lower half and cream on top, that I like. So now I’ll think about the two-tone grey, and the blue and cream, and I have some model paint to play around with a dark purple.
My parts spreadsheet is growing and I need to order all the hard parts before any paint. I’ll add windshield washer nozzles for example, and whatever bits and pieces I can think of. I also need to continue engineering the ’88 wiring to the ’47 controls. I just read that the brake light switch has multiple contacts, so that will all have to function one way or another. Moving right along!
Attached Images

1955.2 Chevy 6700 Bus/RV
1990 Chevy K1500
Second Series is offline   Reply With Quote