View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 11:18 AM   #928
davischevy

Re: My Facetruck thread.

Killer, it wasn't unusual for people to leave here looking for work. They were the ones lucky enough to make enough to buy the gas to leave.

There were two "waves" of people leaving. One after the great depression and one after WWII.

I have relatives around Fresno and Sanger and Corona and Riverside still. I have lost touch with a lot of them except an uncle in Corona.

They left for California, Wichita, Topeka (my wifes family) and KC.

My dad and uncle had a remodeling business in KC in the fifties. They "cut a fat hog" and got their farms and equipment paid for and some money in the bank and came back here for the quality of life.

I almost starved out in the late seventies, early eighties. Since construction was still strong on the east coast in the Carolina's. We kept a little escape fund, and almost had to use it a couple of times to go where the work was.

Then the people that left started retiring and moving back and brought some money with them and saved the rest of us.

Fishing was good yesterday.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote