Thread: 47-55.1 *Steering Wheel Centering*
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2019, 05:28 PM   #4
joedoh

Re: *Steering Wheel Centering*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippi View Post
Understood. I was thinking once the C clip and plate is removed I could just remove the plastic piece that holds the horn spring And then replace the metal plate. This way I could center my steering wheel. Is that not possible ?
nope. because your turn signal cam is part of all of it, and you will end up canceling a left turn almost immediately and maybe never cancelling a right turn. which now that I think about it, may be an existing problem you have now.

edit: it may sound harder to adjust the tie rods, but compared to what you are doing, and losing the horn button, its actually much much easier. loosen the tie rod adjuster bolts, use channel locks, adjust both sides the same amount ( I go in half turns of the adjuster until I understand how much its moving) and then drive a bit to check (after tightening the adjusters). you will probably have more time and swearing in just removing that plate, they are really a pain to get off.

alternatively, depending on the steering box you are using, you MIGHT have a 30 spline on the steering box and you could pull the rag joint/u joint off at the box, turn it slightly, and put it back on. if its a stock AD steering box though, forget I mentioned it.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393

Last edited by joedoh; 11-16-2019 at 05:39 PM.
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote