View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #32
truckster

Re: Windshield gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjific View Post
I bought my truck from a guy in Salt Lake. It came with a new gasket not installed. He told me it didn't seem like it needed replacing so he never did it. Well the truck is now in NY and the window was leaking a little bit. So I tried to replace the gasket. Of coarse I cracked the glass and then had safe lite come and replace it. The install went well trim is in right and the gasket lays flat. I helped the guy the whole way but now the window leaks like no tomorrow. I can't believe how wet my floors get. I can hear them rusting away. The water comes from the window/rubber grove not the body/rubber groove. I bought some 3M urethane to try to seal it if it ever gets dry enough here.

Jim
Urethane will work to seal it, but you need to be careful. Urethane is rather inflexible when it cures, so if you don't get it sealed the first time, you may have a hard time getting it sealed. It will also bond the rubber to the paint, so you may damage the gasket and/or paint if you ever have to replace it.

The correct sealant is butyl rubber sealant. It stays flexible and will flow into gaps between the gasket and the sheet metal.

If you paid Safelite to replace it, they should seal it for free.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote