Thread: Vin removal
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #45
jocko

Re: Vin removal

Okedoke. Just telling you what I have seen occur in CA, with my own eyes, in the exact scenario that the OP asked about. Could it happen another way? IS there a way he could retain his original VIN, maybe, but he asked so I'm relaying my experience. Yes, Federal Law pertains to the criminal aspect of any intent to commit fraud, which isn't the case here, so, what is left is how states choose to implement their own vehicle laws, i.e. however they want, Title umptifratz really is irrelevant unless commiting fraud, the federal piece - OP wants to restore his truck - In CA, if he went to the chippies, which is what dmv would tell him to do, he could very likely be issued a new VIN if he removed it. Then he'd probably be a little ticked off if he listened to all the above adivce saying go for it... I'm not saying DON'T go for it, I'm relaying the way I've seen it handled and he might not like it to turn out that way, that's all. Just sharing. Mr. Law would verify all kosher, but then perhaps issue a new number/title. Is there a longer long way to retain your original VIN, there might be, but I've not seen it happen. I don't like it either, but that's what they do out here in the land of milk n honey. Possessing rosette rivets and using them to install a vin are two different things. Owning shotgun shells is legal until ya shoot someone.

Anyway, clearly I'm no lawyer - and not claiming to be an expert on this stuff - but I did think it was worth relaying to the guy that asked the question who lives in CA how I've seen it done in the past on more than one occasion.

To the poster's original question, I would not recommend removing the rivets. Others may disagree, and that's fine. The different opinions will help him decide.

Good topic and good discussion - has come up so many times on here, and in the end, the other 49 states always seem to end up being glad they don't live here. But then again, we can drive 12 months out of the year and never rust, so it's not all bad...
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote