View Single Post
Old 04-30-2023, 09:18 AM   #25
60-66

Re: 1962-1963 GMC K1500 hubcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short 3/4 View Post
Interesting thread.
Makes me curious about the history of my 65 K10. I’m the second owner, but unfortunately the original owner had been dead for many years before I got it (long story) so could not ask all the questions I would have loved to ask. It originally came from the local Chevy dealer and spent its entire life before I got it on a local horse ranch. My buddy that used to manage the farm supply store remembers the ranch manager using the truck to pick up supplies in the old days.The truck had been parked in the barn since the 80’s. When I rescued it it still had what due to paint and condition looked to be the original 15” clip type split rims. The original built sheet behind the seat lists the wheels as HB5, and they were originally painted white. What is interesting is it still had some very well used small hole 60-63 Chevy painted hubcaps on the front only. I know Chevy didn’t put caps on that year 4x4, so maybe the dealer dug some up to doll up the truck in the showroom, but interesting that the factory would have installed clip type rims on a K truck that would not have been offered with caps. I know the rancher would not have gone out of his way to find hubcaps for a work truck for the ranch hands. What’s amazing is that they were still on the truck 20 years later when it was parked. The build sheet shows the Spicer hub option, but unfortunately there is a big hole where some other options are listed (damn mice).

Any ideas on how this truck wound up with what sure look like original hubcaps?
Welcome to the thread !
First , by what your saying Im assuming you have a short bed 1965 Chevrolet K10 ? On all Chevy K trucks the Data book states wheel colors as Black for solid color trucks and Body Color for two tone trucks, White wheels were ONLY used on GMCs . In 1967 that changed for Chevrolet.

As for the wheels , all the lock ring (split rims) wheels had clips . They didn't make a nub style lock ring wheel. In fact ALL 3/4 ton wheels had clips. 1/2 ton there was a choice . Had an original 1966 2wd Suburban with lock ring wheels as well.

As for the hubcaps , My 1966 K20 came from the Dealer , not the factory , with 1960 K20 hubcaps. The owner traded in a 1960 K20 and wanted the hubcaps on his new 1966 truck. Thats a possible explanation for your hubcaps. The other is that the wheels and tires were swapped from another truck. That can be verified by taking the tire off a rim and checking the date stamp inside.

This is my old 66 K20 when it was still in the original owners possession. Notice the white 1960 only K type hubcaps .
Attached Images

WANTED :1964-1966 PANEL TRUCK
60-66 is offline   Reply With Quote