View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 09:27 PM   #525
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Thanks Doc. I have to admit it works better than I thought it would. It took me about 10 minutes to do the set of four including drilling the holes.

Saturday was POR-15 day. I used a brush and went around the perimeter of the cab where the wood bolts up along with the 3 underside support rails. For the front end I decided to treat it with POR-15 and leave it for now. After having read 04ls1GTO's thread on repairs to the step up area I decided that much work would exceed the amount of time I have at present. And thankfully the rust demon hasn't run wild there yet. I would like to thank him for his great thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=724682

To optimize the coverage I got with the POR-15 on the front edge. Used a scraper to separate the top piece of metal from the bottom piece. The majority of the rust was on the top piece which was next to the wood. Now I had about 3/16" gap between the two pieces on the rear edge. When I applied the paint I loaded the brush with paint on one side and then scraped the paint off on the top piece. The paint then was heavily applied to the under side of the top piece. Then I used a air nozzle with only 10 psi of pressure to blow the paint to the front edge of the gap between the two pieces. I felt this would make sure I had as much paint coverage as possible. Seeing paint bubbling up from pinholes in the top piece helped confirm my theory. I would paint about 6 inches of the gap and then take some pliers and close the gap back together.
The idea being if I waited until the paint was dry to close the gap there would be areas that the paint might crack as the metal was bent. The paint still being wet should help seal the area and slow if not block further oxidization. There were no photos taken of this process but if anybody has questions I could get some after the process photos

I got some miscellaneous things done today. I replaced the replacement compressor mount I installed quite awhile ago. It worked fine with the original compressor but the new compressor weighs more and I could hear the mount flexing when going over bumps on the freeway. It wasn't really terribly noisy but I knew it would only be a matter of time until it flexed enough times to break. (Photo #1 old mount). Not to mention the fact that the old mount always seemed to be in the way when ever something needed to be done to the compressor or the tank. Photo #2 shows the new flat bar strap mounts I used and photo #3 shows the completed compressor mounting.
Last photo is the painted support rails.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote