View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #31
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Thanks Chevyrestoguy and Orrie G for the good advice but also for sharing my enjoyment of this rattletrap! I like to think that if we lived down the block from each other we'd be talking over the same stuff standing in one of our driveways over beers.

It's amazing to me that no one at an auto parts store can tell you the capacity on a 350TH or a 10 bolt rearend. They're pretty young for the most part but I know there ARE young guys/girls who like & know cars. Apparently they just don't hire 'em. As you'll see below, if you tell them you don't know what make/model/year the tranny came out of its like asking a monkey to do a math problem. See the pan gasket I got from the (probably) 19 year old woman at the counter. I ended up at the good old reliable greasy independent parts house for the right one.

Pan vs. Gasket from Pep Boys. What's wrong with THIS picture?

Tranny appears to be sano, fluid is clear-red, sediment is minimal and normal (I think) Opinions?

EDIT: I'd better add this pic to let you know I clean out that pan and hammered out the crease in it

Front brakes are mildy worn. Last brake job was pro or experienced or would'nt have the white moly grease where it should be and certainly would'nt have brand new adjustment hole rubber plugs. Note 5 lug hubs are not drilled old 6 lug hubs. A late 80's "update" while keeping drum brakes

Fun stuff. My tailgate is nearly pristine even after 56 years!! two barely noticeable dings, zero cancer. Feathered out and painted Duplicolor Etching Primer.

Before:

In Process:

After:

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 05-13-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote