Thread: 47-55.1 AD wiring
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2019, 10:10 AM   #90
dsraven

Re: AD wiring

one thing to look for in a crimp connector is whether the crimp area is a solid tube or if it has a split in it and the ends are just really close together at the seam of the split. I say this because the ones that are not a solid tube in the crimp area will sometimes actually split apart at the seam and that makes the crimp sorta suspect. I avoid that style when possible because they are ok to use if you get the crimp placed in such a way that the split is always on the back side of the crimp but they just take more time to do the crimp because you have to look at the connector and orientate it on each terminal you are connecting. I would rather pay a couple bucks more for some better connectors and just crimp them however they fit into the pliers. some connector styles are unavoidable to have a split, and that is fine we can deal with those as needed, but why not start out with connectors that lead to a better outcome and have less problems overall.
I try to use non insulated connectors whenever possible for that exact reason, plus you can see the whole crimp when it is done to look for issues. they also take up less space in the harness so if you have a couple of connections close together the harness doesn't have a huge lump in it. use double wall shrink tube on each connector as well, it has like a hot glue inside so it helps seal the connection. it comes in different colors if you want to keep circuits marked by color.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote