Thread: Wampus Cat
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2019, 01:42 PM   #47
TxCajun

Re: Wampus Cat

Clyede65, Duncan K, SCOTI, ......... Thank you for your kind comments. I get lots of great information and ideas from this forum, so it's great if some of the details that I provide help someone else.

I removed the clamps from the roof today after the adhesive had cured and I'm pretty happy with the results.

A couple things to note:

While installing the outer roof, when you clamp down on the perimeter, some of the adhesive will extrude out around the edges or any holes. I had put some plastic film between the wood spacer blocks and the metal to prevent them from sticking to any excess adhesive. This worked fairly well except where the adhesive extruded over the top of the film. I had cut strips of the film to go under the blocks, but in hindsight, I should have made the strips larger and formed a "U" shape so that the adhesive would be less likely to extrude around the edges (see pictures). In any case, the wood blocks and most of the film came out easily in about 15 minutes, and I'll only need to spend a little time with a grinder to clean out any excess adhesive from the gutter before applying primer and seam sealer.
The film that I used was some material that was given to me from a printed circuit board shop where it is used due to it's non-stick properties. I don't know what it is, but it is very similar in feel to Mylar or Vellum. Alternatives might be a thin sheet of Teflon or maybe even wax paper.

I also found that my outer roof did not sit completely flat on the inner roof even after a little massaging. A few areas required more clamping force than just the spring clamps would provide, so I used about 10 small C-clamps in those areas to clamp the two roofs together tightly. I mainly needed these C-clamps along the sides above the doors, and in the area just behind the doors where the rain gutter slants upwards.
Attached Images

TxCajun is offline   Reply With Quote