View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 09:19 PM   #1
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Tinkering on the 72 jimmy, may have hurt the engine...Thoughts?

Spring is finally getting close here so I was working on the 72. It has always been kind of hard to start if it sat for more than a couple of days. I knew the gas didn't smell the best, but whenever I started it I would let it run for awhile just trying to burn the gas up before I put new in. (less than an 1/8 tank)
Today I figured I would speed up the process and unhook the gas line after the fuel pump and crank on the engine. It was throwing gas into a bucket pretty steady. I would put a little fresh gas in the carb so it would run for a few seconds to get more gas out. I did this quite a few times. I let it sit for a couple hours and charged up the battery and hit the key. Something went clunk, the 4 speed shift handle bounced, (it was in neutral ) and it seemed like the battery was dead. I pulled the dipstick and it was over full and looked like chocolate milk. (less than 1 mile on oil change) I drained the oil, pulled four plugs out, (they looked ok and dry) but I can't hardly turn the engine over by hand now. It was not running when this happened. Any thoughts?
Attached Images

70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto