View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 08:28 PM   #1
audaciousduo

Windshield Frame Replacement

Hello all,

I replaced the top of my rusted out windshield frame today. Like many virtually rust free southern trucks mine suffered from the usual rotten windshield frame syndrome. I managed to find a solid one off a terminally rotten from the door handles down Canadian truck. I enlisted the help of a friend who is a ticketed body man and has decades of experience and though I'd share how we did this because it was slick!.

1) Measure a million times and use a straight edge to see what id straight and what is not. I measured hight at the center and both wiper posts. Width at the top and where I cut the A pillar. Cut your donar top slightly long 1/4" and make sure you have a chunk of solid A pillar to use as a sleeve.

2) sleeve the stump attached to the truck by cutting the flanges off the solid chunk you have left. Drill 1/4" holes on the flat surfaces of both pillars for plug welds.

3) weld in your sleeve you fabricated out of the solid chunk with rosette welds where you drilled the holes.

4) slide on the new top and measure, measure, measure trimming it as needed.

5) make sure its straight with you straight edge or by laying the new windshield in carefully and tack weld on all three sides. Measure, measure, measure again and weld up the plug welds and seams solid.

6) Grind, fiberglass (water proof) , then bondo where necessary.

7) Your done, did it yourself and saved a tone of scratch.
Attached Images

audaciousduo is offline   Reply With Quote