View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 01:26 PM   #12
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: 72 Sierra Grande wiring - still at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblock50 View Post
Thanks for that info. I'll do that once I figure out why the ignition switch does not activate the solenoid and HEI!

Even with the HEI installation (looks like a vintage GM setup), I should still find the purple wire from the ignition switch on the solenoid, yes? See the attached graphic from the internet. To actually see the wires I'd need to drop the starter, always fun.

Yes, there should be a Purple wire connected to the "S" terminal on the solenoid but lets back up for a minute here.

1. Is your truck an automatic or manual?

2. If it is an auto it will have a neutral safety switch at the bottom of the steering column inside the truck. This switch will have two purple wires connected to it. Unplug the connector with the two Purple wires as shown in "cj847's" post #3 and make a jumper as he shows and see if the starter engages when the key is in the start position. Make sure the transmission is in the Park or Neutral position.

3. As far as the HEI, in your first post it sounds like you are not sure if the HEI is getting power or not. You need to make sure by testing the wire to the HEI with the switch in the "ON" position. It should show 12 volts on that wire.

Report back with your findings on these two things if you would please.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote