View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #367
1971_c10

Re: C10CJ: A Pro-touring '71 Stepside on a No Limit Pro-C10 Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Looks like you had a great trip! Appreciate you sharing it with us.

The night picture shows a decent headlamp spread...was the lighting good?
Hey Doug, Trip was awesome. Glad to get some good highway driving and even a little inclement weather driving. I was actually impressed with the lighting during the night driving. What I did with this build is simply got the headlights off the headlight switch and on relays. Those lights are just some ~10 yr old Sylvania's (halogens) from one of the local autoparts store. So just changing to the relays they are way brighter than they were before. I do have some tweaking to do to the aiming. They are a little short for rolling down the highway at 75-80 if there weren't any other cars (just slightly overdriving the lights). I haven't set them yet after the stance changes. I do worry they don't have the beam focus though (once I do adjust them) since when I bought them 75 mph speed limits weren't the norm like they are today, and 80 mph in WY.

For those curious on the headlight relays, what I did was use the existing feed from the headlight switch to drive two relays, one low beam and one high beam. Since the headlight switch puts out 12v, I just wired them straight to a resistor style relay (to make sure the current pulled through the headlight switch was minimal now). The relays are in those littelfuse blocks I added on the radiator support. So the headlights have a much more direct path to the battery and can pull the current they need. The headlight switch in our trucks winds up acting like a resistor so it restricts current to a degree, resulting in the sub-par light performance. One reason why those super bright headlight upgrades all include relays.

Build Thread for my '71 Pro-Touring: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722029
My C10 has it's own facebook page! www.facebook.com/c10cj - it is a public page so no facebook account required to browse through.

Last edited by 1971_c10; 10-10-2018 at 08:50 PM. Reason: typo
1971_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote