View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 11:22 PM   #101
Beelzeburb
Devil's in the Details

Beelzeburb: Part 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
what are your plans for your t-case shifter?
Excellent question. I plan on recreating the linkage my Dad fabricated / adapted for the Blazer. It'll basically just reuse stock parts from a newer truck. I have two separate t-case shifters, but the one I planned on using broke. Sorta disappointed the yard I went to last week didn't have any 4x4s around with the shifter and linkage the Suburban needs.

To wrap up the fuel filler flap install:

The piece I sectioned from the van's fuel filler tube:

New height of fill and vent tubes:

All the old filler pieces and accompanying parts removed to make room for the new stuff:

A couple of small pieces of sheetmetal trimmed, bent then welded in to seal out the elements:

The welds back here didn't need to be very pretty because they're covered by the interior side panel anyway. I'll smear some seam sealer on the joints though, can't be too safe in preventing rust. I'll also cut a half-moon piece of plywood to fill in the hole in the floor where the old fill tube used to run and seal everything up tight.

Two feet of 1 3/4” fuel filler hose @ $20 a foot and five feet of 5/8” vent line (the fill neck on the tank was relocated, but not the vent outlet so it makes a big loop).

So happy everything lined up and fit on the first try:

A quick coat of etching primer and voilà!

That was one of the last obstacles to overcome before I could drive the Suburban. Still plenty of little stuff to take care of (like dropping off the front driveshaft today to have it re-tubed), but most of the 'major' hurdles are out of the way.