View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 01:19 AM   #33
Wwes

Progress

I've not been happy with the direction this build is going. The goal is to have a 1983 K10 that roughly has 1987 innards, 350 TBI, and looks period correct, showroom ready.

Well, I took some shortcuts to "save time" that lead me down the wrong path, For instance, I bought a full engine and interior harness from a 1988 Suburban. I hacked both of them up, trying to make them work with my 1983 interior harness, to limited success. Mainly because I dreaded getting further into this wiring project.

Last weekend I decided I had enough, and was going to fix all the hacks I've done, and implement the full 1988 harnesses on my truck.

Below is my fixing up the fuse box and instrument panel harness. It had a couple wire breaks, and some self-inflicted damage, so I repaired it back to new. I used my modern Chevy truck as a workbench.

I then installed this harness under the dash. It was much easier than I expected, and pretty simple to follow. Having full factory service manuals helps as well.

For the first time, my SERVICE ENGINE SOON light works, the fuel pump relay controls the fuel pumps (three seconds and off), and everything I've tested so far works except the interior courtesy lights.

I also fixed all the hacks from my engine harness and now it's ready to fire up and move onto the next phase - the body work.
Attached Images

Wwes is offline   Reply With Quote