View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #102
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricott View Post
Thanks for the pictures and the measurements. After looking at several Fleetside pickups at Goodguys - Columbus earlier this month, and the fact I learned to drive in a 58 F@#d fleetside pickup, I decided that I would ditch the step side bed on my 55 pickup in favor of a fleetside. I purchased a fleetside bed and need to make a road trip (350 each way) to pick it up. Eric and I got all the sheet metal painted and installed on his GTO (I posted pictures) and we have been driving it several miles each evening. Good luck with your project, I hope to be starting the next one this fall. How hard was it to disassemble the fleetside bed? If it can be done in 2 - 3 hours, I will go in my S10 Pickup instead of pulling a trailer behind my Surburban.

Ricky
We had the bed off and fully apart in less than an hour. Would fit nicely in the S-10 if broken down. Mostly cut the bolts with a cutoff wheel on grinder due to rust. The few I tried to unbolt sheared off. Wood was totally rotten and the rails were pretty beat up so being careful was not an issue. Since the wood was rotten, we could lift the rails and cut them from the top side of the bed which was pretty easy overall. Had a couple of 1" to 2" sheetmetal welds at the back of the bed near the tailgate. If I had it to do over, I would have left it together until I sorted out it's location on the truck.
Attached Images

dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote