Thread: Blast Cabinets
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2022, 09:31 PM   #1
Troy Sr

Blast Cabinets

Hello All,

While going through 7dee2 (Brett)'s 67 Camaro Build I was looking at his blast cabinet build, I thought I'd like to get some input from those that have one and have maybe modified them. I have the same unit from Harbor Freight and have added some updates. I added the bottom abrasive pickup kit, the foot pedal kit, a new/better nozzle, and a shop vac.

My compressor is a Craftsman 6 1/2 Hp 60 Gal vertical tank, its 240 V, max pressure 125 psi, 15 scfm @ 40 psi and 11 1/2 scfm @ 90 psi.

It does do "ok" blasting sometimes but not always. I have glass beads in it now and I had some black aluminum oxide in it before I updated it. I really want it to remove rust better and faster than it does now. One of the problems i have with it is the glass beads do not settle very well back in to bottom, they stay on the upper edges and stay on the sides of the "funnel" so I have to shake it or beat on it to get it to settle a bit. the other day I saw an electric motor that vibrates it to help.

Does anyone have any ideas to help this cabinet to work better? Also what's the best blast media you use? Thanks for your help!!!