View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #10
mechanicalman

Re: 400 Small Block Problems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby277 View Post
I'm rebuilding the motor so I think we should be able to get it fixed, but my question is, What would cause this to happen? It is only hitting on one piston, it has been rebuilt before I believe, because the Rods and end caps have been stamped 1-8.
I can tell by the thickness of the piston skirt that it's at least had the pistons replaced. Before you go all-out to rebuild the engine, maybe you should assess the overall condition of it.

If that rod is simply bent, and everything else is good, you might get by just replacing that one rod or maybe that one piston as well. Check to see if the piston de-formed in the area of the wrist pin enough to affect the wrist pin clearance, skirt collapse, and piston/cyl wall scoring.

In the event you just repair that one cylinder, if the cyl wall is not scored, and if the rings are good it would be best to re-use them leaving the cyl wall alone. Make note of where the ring gaps are when coming apart then make sure they go back in the same way. Of course if you have to hone it use new rings.

If you can figure out exactly what the original parts are, and if Summit has them, they are good about selling singles for the same price as multiplied for a set.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote