View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 04:50 PM   #5
tucsonjwt

Re: Mastercylinder brand

I bought a Raybestos master cylinder for my 83 C20 and it leaked after one year. I replaced it with a AC Delco master cylinder and it lasted about 15 years and 45,000 miles. I now need to replace that AC Delco master cylinder and I bought another AC Delco one. I painted the new ACD mc because the factory cast finish rusts in about 6 months, even in the dry AZ desert. I also painted my existing ACD brake booster(which had also rusted) at the same time. The dicrhromate finish ACD puts on their boosters turns to rust quickly. I have noticed that newer model boosters come painted from the factory, not dichromated, so maybe they learned something.

Aa near as I can tell, all of the master cylinders are rebuilt parts, even the AC Delco ones. I have the cast iron type, not the plastic type, so maybe the plastic ones on a C10 might be new parts. The AC Delco parts cost a lot more, and all of the ACD parts seem to be made in China or Mexico, but I think they may have better quality control than other imported parts, but that is just a guess. Rock Auto seems to have the best prices, but sometimes you can get ACD parts on Amazon or elsewhere for a bit lower price, but I still trust Rock Auto over someplace I don't know.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote