View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 12:15 AM   #63
SkinnyG

Re: SkinnyG's '61 Apache

I -think- am going to run the 9" at full 65" width. With the 18" Grand Cherokee steelies I have, it should fit fine. I -think-. This is also why I'm fine using the 88-98 spindes, and offsetting the balljoint outboard a tick - the front hub to hub is 65-3/4" right now (un-widened). I -think- it will all work out.

The trailing arms are merely placed to hold the axle to know where the tubes are to cut the notch. I will space them exactly once I know there exactly I want the trailing arms to sit with respect to the frame.

I made my own axle saddles at the same 12° of the HO32, but with the arm placement where I think I want the axle, the angle is wrong. Nothing a touch of grinding can't fix.

I will determine pinion angle once I have the engine and trans in and placed, so I can optimize and match the operating angles at the trans and diff. Then wait to finalize it when the whole thing is pretty much at ride weight, sitting on tires, and in need to a driveshaft (I've screwed up in the past ordering driveshafts when vehicles weren't fully complete).

As an aside, I really really appreciate your input on this build, and I really like all the brackets and adapters and things you make for the C10s. Thank you!
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote