View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 03:48 AM   #69
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

Thanks for the positive comments guys, they are much appreciated. When I was young I benefitted from a couple of old guys that took the time to teach me a great deal of mechanical stuff they learned the hard way. I’m trying to repay those favors by sharing whatever I’ve learned that might have value, so all of it won’t be lost when I’m no longer around.

While studying the photos of the new paint job, it occurred to me it might look too plain. I thought about adding big Clay Smith woodpecker decals to the lower front fenders. They were very popular when I was a sophomore in high school (1964). Two years later when I was a senior they had virtually disappeared from the high school parking lot. I also thought they might be a bit too much. That’s when I started considering the old Moon Equipped decals. They weren’t much of a high school favorite where I lived, but I thought they looked cool since the first time I saw them in a magazine, and many of the real race cars had them which seemed to validate their authenticity (at least to my sense of logic).

So I slapped a pair on, and quickly realized they were too far forward. Studying the newest photos I also discovered an interesting optical anomaly. Depending on the viewing angle, the slant of the eyes changes slope from leaning forward to leaning backward, or appearing straight up and down. Viewed directly from the side they obviously slant forward. Viewed from a forward position they appear to slant to the rear. I can only assume it’s because of the inward slope of the fender at the bottom. It has no significance, I just found it interesting. Here’s a comparison photo showing what I’m describing:

Picking up another pair at a local car show, the first pair were peeled of and replaced in what I considered a more aesthetically appealing location, farther back on the fender.

That gave me some other ideas about side trim. I thought the “speed lines” introduced in the art deco period of the late 1930’s provided a lot of visual interest. So I played around with some 1948 Chevy Fleetline trim concepts. If I ever do the Fleetline style trim, it will be made of aluminum or chrome plated brass, but with my pitiful photoshop skills they are shown in white. I asked for feedback which led to these suggestions:

I liked all the suggestions, but so far they haven't made it any farther than rattlng around in my head. Maybe someday. More to follow.