View Single Post
Old 01-13-2016, 08:54 PM   #284
SCOTI

Re: My 89 CC Dually: Double Wide

Update dance....

I got the carrier bearing x-member cut-out last weekend & got my new adjustable set-up installed. Wound up having to do it @ my shop which sucked (cutting/drilling inches above me while flat-backing it vs standing under it w/more room to work with + a 2nd set of hands). I need to get a lift. Stuff like this is a PITA as you get older but I perservered.

Initial impressions? It does feel better. I've hit 75mph on the highway w/no severe vibrations but there is still vibration. Next up will be rebuilding the driveline (all new u-joints, a new C-bearing, & balancing).

After completing the C-bearing relocation (and while still on the stands), I went ahead & installed the latest sway-bar I purchased. It's weird..... the way RideTech's MuscleBar is built required me to utilize the factory sway-bar towers but w/the bar installed BETWEEN the frame & tower vs under it (or bolting it directly to my frame like I've done on all my other C10's). So I go to install this PB/Addco bar & viola'.... I was able to install in directly to the frame w/o needing the towers (which helps clearance). The end-links are not plumb which I'm not crazy about but they're not @ 45° either (the RT MB links weren't plumb either). I'm living w/them for now but will be monitoring them for expidited wear.

Another failure was also found the last trip up to my buddys work.... It seems the driver side rear Bilstein spit out the upper bushing (the bushing was still bolted in place on the shock tower/bridge x-member). But once the shock was loose & extended, it walked (leaned) over to a comfortable rest on the exhaust pipe (I now know where that damn burning plastic smell was coming from though ). So my buddy picked through some discarded shocks @ the F**d dealership & we found some late model F150 shocks were close enough to use until I got a replacement.

So now I'm re-focusing on finishing-up interior items that got pushed aside:
  • Finish doors
  • Install door striker bushings
  • Fix the 'new' pass side door lock switch (broke already after a single use)
  • Stereo
  • Misc trim detailing
I ordered the needed materials to finish making the door bottom panels. I ordered a 2nd set of floor mats so I can have a DD set & a fresh set for any possible shows. Hopefully I'll have that stuff early next week. I'm going to get the stereo system plugged in (prob on Sat). It's all there, I just wanted to allow the stereo shop to terminate things @ the amp & dial the settings (for warranty purposes).

It looks like the front SloshTubz + fender close-outs will remain unfinished for now. I can't really take them to my buddy for finishing out the pass side mods (since I'm driving this thing daily & he already/still has my 90).

I'm trying to find another red/matching tailgate as it's already been the victim of a p-lot hit & run. I had to replace the blazer insert & install a new pass side lens which helped hide the damage but the gate is tweaked & you can't open/close it like normal. Bumper was tweaked as well but a replacement should be here tomorrow....

Otherwise things are chugging along. It's a thirsty ride (still averaging 8-ish mpg) but @ least fuel is cheap while I'm relying on it daily.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-13-2016 at 09:07 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote