View Single Post
Old 09-21-2020, 10:50 AM   #1
SCOTI

Splined Sway Bar Sources

My '64 has an assorted group of parts that doesn't want to play well w/traditional sway bar set-ups. I have mocked-up multiple C10 bars as well as an f-body 1Le 36mm bar but only one lines up anywhere near close to the lower a-arm link mounts. My set-up = approx. 39.25"-39.375" @ the center of the outer link mounts. Others I've measured:

Belltech C10 'Sport' bar @ 1.375"od = 40.5"
Stock '00 S10 OE bar = ~41.5"
3rd GEN f-body 36mm bar = 43.75"
G-body Malibu OE bar = ~43.5"
Addco/Porterbuilt C10 bar = 44"

Of these units I played with, the Belltech bar is closest but still too wide. I can possibly get creative enough to get it to work @ the a-arm mounts but once you put the frame-pivot bushing housing on the bar & mount it to the bottom of the frame rails, it's the lowest hanging item on the truck & it's @ a very vulnerable spot. With this being a concern, I sat back & wondered about alternative mounting of the bar. Moving it's mounting location farther back did help w/the mounting height but created other packaging issues. The shape of the bar is not ideal as-is which limits clearance so that's also a possible packaging issue (it may/may-not interfere w/my limited width front wheel/tire combo).

Ideally, I need to mount the bar within the frame rail vs. below it so I don't add a clearance concern to the bottom of the chassis which was purposely built to minimize clearance concerns .

This has me researching a Splined Sway bar as my solution. I've been doing basic Google searches for a few days & did find some info but where one source provides spec data, another doesn't (making it hard to determine what to get). Most I've found are race-car/rear set-ups. Welder Series has a DIY kit but it's not really a splined assembly nor do I feel it's adequately sized. Speedway has basically what I need (it's a 64-72 A-body spec kit) but it's too wide & they don't list narrower options in a similar configuration. I attached images of the Speedway/A-body set-up. A kit like this w/options for the main bar width is what I need.

If you've been down this rabbit hole & know of a source/sources for splined sway (Torsion) bars, let me know.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-21-2020 at 10:57 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote