View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 07:21 PM   #111
SCOTI

Re: My 89 CC Dually: Double Wide

Well..... My buddy coined it "Scot Luck" years ago & for a reason. I got the Ride Tech Musclebar today as indicated. I opened it @ lunch & it looks very nice. I like the lighter weight & felt it would make install much more pleasant.

One thing I feel that would make this part better, is if it would actually fit. Per the instructions, I removed the OE sway bar pedestals. This was quick & easy as I technically already had removed the rivets a while back & had them bolted in. You align the rear mounting holes on the frame rail w/the rear mounting holes of the sway bar bushing brackets:

For 73-87
Bolt the new MuscleBar to the frame
rail using the poly bushing and bracket.
The rear hole for the factory sway bar
mount will be reused for the rear hole
in the new bracket. The front hole
must be drilled with a 3/8” bit. Four
3/8” x 1 ¼” bolts, Nylok nuts, and eight
flat washers will secure it to the frame.

When I attempted to bolt the bushing brackets to the frame rails using the rear holes as the locating guide, the bar makes contact w/the front splash shield that ties the rails together. My solution was to try utilizing the OE pedestals but installing the bushings in on top of the pedestals vs under them. This helped clear the splash shield.

The next item is the bar has some 'bushing stops/collars' (for lack of a better solution) welded to it. It appears they are intended to center the bar & limit it from walking side to side. When I put the bushings on & butt them against the stops, the bushing brackets don't align w/the C/L of the frame/pedestal holes. I didn't measure @ the time but they're @ least .500-.750 off.

It seems I will have to remove the stops/collars on the bar to allow the bushing brackets to line up (there's not really enough material on the brackets to 'oval' them in an attempt to align the pieces).

Very frustrating.....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-12-2015 at 07:27 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote