The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #1
CJ5 Convert

Frame issue? Twisted taxle tube or bad weld?

Folks I'm not sure if I should post this ove in supension or body or someplace else. So if any mods are out there and I put this in the wrong place please move me.

My blazer has always set low in the right rear I assumed it was a sprung leaf pack back there. God knows whoever owned this before me must have thought he was Bo Duke (There are dents all over the place under it gas tank, oil pan, etc).

http://picasaweb.google.com/jason.wi...on/FrameIssues

How do I check this to make sure the frame is straight before I start the suspension upgrades? Can the body be torqued because it sat so long like this. As always thanks -J

Last edited by CJ5 Convert; 04-01-2008 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Needed to Update question
CJ5 Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Re: Frame issue? If this is the wrong place sorry

Are your rubber bushings new or original?

Have you counted the number of springs per leaf pack to confirm the PO didn't do something screwy. Also make sure the PO didn't do something real stupid, like leave a short lift block on one side.

Let my stupidity shine for a second. When I was working on my 70 K5 I found it was sitting a bit tilted to one side too. I started taking measurements and just couldn't figure it out - until I noticed one of my jack stands was one tooth higher than rest.

So first make sure your jack stands are all at the same height and placed in the same locations side to side. Then what I would do is start measuring things side to side and see where you start to get off, then inspect the frame and body at that location.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:05 PM   #3
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

Lay a straight edge across the top of the pack. Measure from the edge to the bolt going throught the middle of the pack. Do this on both sides and it should tell you if you have a goofy pack. Like Yukon Jack said it could be something silly like a different block on one side or maybe a block turned backwards etc.... Check your body mounts too, they can make it look like suspension problems when its really a squished body mount or two. Or a combination of both.... Good Luck.

My Build
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:01 PM   #4
CJ5 Convert

All good points guys. Thanks please anyone else chime in too? I need all of the help with this one I can get. I will take any suggestions. I'm dumber than a box of rocks most of the time thats why I'm a board member. -Thanks again -Jason
Old 03-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #5
CJ5 Convert

Allright me and James got the new suspension on this weekend and it is still sitting crooked. Any things I should specifically check. When I look at the back of the truck the right rear horn and the crossmember going to the left horn seem to go down hill. So I don't think it's body mounts and when I put it up on jackstands (by the frame) the right side of the axle sets up a little higher.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:03 AM   #6
Big J

Find a backyard paint and body guy with a frame rack. Shouldn't cost much to put it on and check it out. Or to staighten it for that matter. 1-400 bucks maybe. If it is tweeked a bit its no big deal to have fixed.

My Build
Old 03-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #7
CJ5 Convert

Big J - I've been measuring all over the frame It seems to be starting to twist behind the crossmeber after the trans mount it's ou about a half an inch. How do those frame racks straighten things is it a big job or is it one of those thirty minute deal. Also will it be one of those things I regret because it weakened the frame (of course it has allready been twisted once). Should I replace the body mounts first? -Jason
Old 03-24-2008, 04:33 PM   #8
Big J

It'll take longer to chain it down to the rack than it will to straighten it. Its not a big job if its not way out. It doesn't look like yours is. It'd probably be one of those hour ordeals. I don't know about the body mount thing. There are two ways of thinking. Wait and put them in after because there is more slack right now with the old ones. So it wouldn't affect your body. Or put the new ones in and it will help align the body too, if its tweaked. You should pm one or two of the body guys. They'd know more about the specifics on this one.

My Build
Old 04-01-2008, 04:31 AM   #9
CJ5 Convert

Allright I needed to add to this thread so I just changed the title.

So everyone has been helping me try to figure out what was up with this dumb blazer but I had a thought. The rear axles spring perches are crooked, one is turned down. Of course I'm not sure which one is correct, but when hooked to springs the right rear perch is tilted forward (making it hard to hook up. This I think would make the shackle tilt forward more. Which Could be the reason the blazer is sitting down in the right rear. Which is confirmed because when I have my K5 on the jackstands at the rear frame horns. the Axle pulls up on that side.

So with that said could the tube really be twisted in one of these old rigs I don't think it had enough horse power to twist. If not how easy is it to get a welder to remount the perch in the correct spot. Last would this be cheaper than getting a new rear axle since I wouldn't have to change anything. Thanks -Jason
Old 04-01-2008, 05:25 AM   #10
Rokcrln

Sounds like you are right about the spring pad being the problem because if it is twisted it will torque on the leaf pack sending things way out. To check if it is the axel tube you can jack the rear end up and pull your tires off for access. On the back of each drum their are 4 bolts holding on the drums. Put a strait (one per side) edge accross the top two bolts and clamp it to the drum of do somthing to hold it in place. Use a strait edge about 3-4' long and do both sides the same. Once they are both good just look accross the two of them from one side and see if they line up. If they do then you need to re-do one perch and if they dont then it is time for a new axel.
It should only take a guy with the right tools about 30min to jack it up and remove the U-bolts and cut off the old perch and maybe 30 more to aling the new perch so it matches the other side. Then 30min or so to put it all back together and you should be good.

Kevin
LFD inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:58 PM   #11
vtblazer

You could be on to it.

A quick/easy check would be to look at the backing plates and visually compare the e-brake cable entry point and if their 'clocked' differently, you've got a problem.

Not real common but sure, axle tubes have been know to turn.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:13 AM   #12
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

This twisted spring perch could very well be your problem, but don't forget about the front suspension. Something screwy on the left front could very well force the right rear down too.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote