The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
nrgtruck

Rear main seal on 72' Big Block

I have the a bad real main seal leak on my 454 BBC. Don't have a engine picker so I am asking what is the best approach to change the seal.

Lift the engine several inches to clear and get out the oil pan, where is my jacking point? I already loosen the engine bracket bolts and ready to left motor but need advice on where to jack the motor. I don't think I would lift from the oil pan itself, next area I see would be in the area of the torque converter.

I don't think I will need lift the transmission but if I do, Do I remove the flywheel, stall converter and drive shaft?

Thanks!
nrgtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:59 AM   #2
Blue Tank

Re: Rear main seal on 72' Big Block

I can't comment on the seal, i've never done it in the vehicle. Before i had a lift i made a plate that bolted to the balancer holes with the pulley removed. I had a big bar welded to it that i could lift with the floor jack and it allowed me to get the pan off. Everything has to be blocked up pretty good so it doesn't move and you have to check firewall clearance. This was on a Chevelle so you might need to drop the center driveshaft bearing?
good luck
Blue Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:55 AM   #3
rsavage

You might be better off biting the bullet and renting or borrowing a cherry picker and an engine stand to do it right. Pulling a pan and resealing/gasketing while the engine is in the truck is very tough with very limited clearances. I'm not sure you won't end up with a leak somewhere else, i.e. timing cover where it meets the pan.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #4
Blue Tank

I did it in June on the 350 in mine but it wasn't my first choice. I knew if i pulled the motor one thing would lead to another and i'd lose the summer though. If felpro makes the one piece gasket for the BB i would use it and be happy to pay whatever they want. I used it on the 350 and it worked great.
Is this a 1 or 2 piece seal motor?
Blue Tank is offline   Reply With Quote