The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
pound41

Springs Ubolt Question

Hello:
I and replacing a Lift Kit installed by the PO with a new Skyjacker Soft ride.
The stock backing plates that fit around the rear housing The ones that the ubolts go through are not there They have a new style where the u bolts go around the housing and the plate sits on top of the springs. Should I find the stock plates or use the ones from the other kit.
Thanks
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Springs Ubolt Question

I have seen it done both ways. One where the U bolts are somewhat square and sit over the springs, they go through a heavy casting and the nuts are at the bottom. The other style has round U bolts that span the axle housing. They usually have a thinner plate that the bolts pass through, the nuts are at the top.
I don't know that it matters much which way they are, either is secure. Personally, on an off-road truck, I prefer them with the rounded bolts w/nuts up. This is smoother, less snag-prone, less likely to be damaged by rocks, etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote