The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
jorgezee1

Vintage AK Miller Single Turbo Chevy V8 Kit info needed

I have a Vintage Ak Miller turbo setup for a SB Chevy. It is a single turbo draw thru setup, I am trying to find info on the kit, I have basic information, and have found very little on the internet to this specific system. If you have any input or know where I can look that would be great. I am currently preping to rebuild the system and I'm looking for any diagrams for the hoses and any tuning info, specifications, ect.

I will post pics tonight for the items below:

Parts List:

Ak Miller Cast Iron Manifold
AirResearch T04 turbo
Ak Miller Carb Manifold
Ak Miller Manifold Housing with BOV
Edelbrock intake manifold
Holley 4 Barrel Carb
V-Band Downpipe
Crossover Pipe

The setup is similar to this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140595866427

any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
Jorge
jorgezee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Re: Vintage AK Miller Single Turbo Chevy V8 Kit info needed

Can't help, but To the site!

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
HEI451
Account Suspended

Ak Miller Enterprises used to be on Bermudez Street, in Pico-Rivera, not that far from you. Ak has been deceased for about 8 years now, but when I still lived down there, some 2 miles from there in 2004, the shop was still being run and was in operation. Last I remember, Burke LeSage was running the place.

All those Ak guys were Bonneville racers, and if you know any of them, ask them, they would more than likely know what is what with the people and Ak shop.
HEI451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
jorgezee1

Here are some pics of the setup.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
jorgezee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcchevy View Post
Can't help, but To the site!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEI451 View Post
Ak Miller Enterprises used to be on Bermudez Street, in Pico-Rivera, not that far from you. Ak has been deceased for about 8 years now, but when I still lived down there, some 2 miles from there in 2004, the shop was still being run and was in operation. Last I remember, Burke LeSage was running the place.

All those Ak guys were Bonneville racers, and if you know any of them, ask them, they would more than likely know what is what with the people and Ak shop.
I'll try to find out thanks.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:56 PM   #6
jorgezee1

I found his Garage in Pico Rivera and I called Ak Miller Garage but had no luck. they said they don't know anything about his kits, and couldn't help me. any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Jorge
Old 10-31-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
HEI451
Account Suspended

Yup, Ak died about 8 years ago, but before that, he sold the garage to Jack Lufkin, another Bonneville racer and cam designer at Iskenderian.

Ak Miller /garage was on Slauson Avenue when I moved from there in 2004, and the Enterprises shop on Bermudez was almost m=just across the ally from the garage, as Bermudez runs parallel to Slauson.

Could be that everyone is now gone from the Enterprises shop, and closed down.

I remember a lot of those parts Ak used had "IMPCO" cast into them back then, might try to google IMPCO turbo and see what you get.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
BarryB

Welcome to the site. This is some interesting stuff. Would love to see it all mounted up to a motor. I've been wanting to build a turbo'ed s.b. for a while now. But I would definitely need to do my research before I start.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
jorgezee1

ok a little update. I called IMPCO and they transfer me to Carburetion & Turbo Systems in Shakopee MN. I spoke to a Eric, He was very helpfull. He is one of IMPCO's automotive distributor for parts. They mainly work with alternative fuels, majority of thier work involves propane. He said he could help with putting the system together and he is fimiliar with AK miller Turbo kits. He told me most parts are still manufactured but the Valve in the 1st pic (lower Left). It is a boost control valve, He said he might be able to get new seals and diaphram from a Catipillar dealer/builder but he will have to get back to me on it. I will give him a call back in a few days, next on the list is to look into rebuilding the turbo, so far I found a local place called Turbo City in Fullerton, CA. They sell rebuild kit for about 100.00. the Turbo apperars to be ok, but I might as well rebuild it since ai know it's been sitting for well over 10 years. The Holley carb is also on the list to be rebuilt. I will post updat pics as I go. Hopefully this helps others.

Thanks,
Jorge
Old 11-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

I've got a friend that has one. He's looking for info on it as well.

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:30 PM   #11
jorgezee1

A bit more info I have found on the turbo kit. The third pic in the list above, is the carb adapter that sits in front of the turbo, this has 2 ports at the bottom to be used for water to help heat the plate to promote better fuel atomization. I'm still looking into where the other 4 ports go. I know it's vacuum but for what? also in rebuilding the Holley carb I noticed the power valve was remover and blocked off. does anyone know why that is?

Thanks,
Jorge
Old 11-04-2011, 01:29 AM   #12
HEI451
Account Suspended

Yup, you have to have heat in the plenum for this system to work right, or else the plenum runs too cool, and more fuel is needed, making for a lot easier over rich conditions.

As I said, I used to live about three miles from the Bermudez shop, and also installed more than a few of these systems. They aren't hard to work on, nor install, just use common sense and listen to those that have used them before. Ak and company were family friends, and I used to hang out at his shop all the time, so, he used to put me to work on these things, along with working with Bill Edwards, his in house installer.

The best ones were dual fuel, gasoline and propane. The full propane setups used the Impco propane carbs, and burned totally clean. I went into Ak's turbo inline 300 cu/in 6 powered, propane fueled Ford Maverick one year after it had over 200.000 mikes on it, and all the parts were so clean, it looked like it was just built. No carbon on the valves/stems, nor piston tops, only a slight discoloration one would expect from the piston tops getting up to operating temps. Oil changes showed oil that looked like it was new last week, even though it had 5,000 miles on it. Just cleaner all the way around with the propane fuel. The funny thing about that car was, it'd tear a pretty good hole in fairly well modified small blocks, in speed contests.

Ak used to have his little saying when he blitzed another kid in a hot rod with it,
"Old age and treachery,
will always overcome youth,
and enthusiasm".
Old 11-04-2011, 03:49 AM   #13
rpmerf

thats an interesting setup.

for boost control you could use a valve like this
http://www.3barracing.com/product_7.htm

its a simple ball and spring design. You can build one yourself for about $10. make sure you have a bleed on the turbo side so it doesnt hold boost when it closes.

OR you can thread your WG rod and set the boost by putting more or less of a preload on the WG arm.

I dont think your setup has a BOV, you can't use a BOV with a suck through setup.

its weird that the turbo only comes off one manifold, guess thats enough and turbo lag isnt that big of a deal. That is about the same size turbo they use on 2.2/2.5 dodge engines.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #14
HEI451
Account Suspended

Ak's turbo systems were designed for adding low to mid range torque, not high rpm boost, so, they are conservative in their component selection and use.

Today, we have a lot bette4r components than back then, with better waste gates and blow off valves, and even turbo's.

One thing to remember, as said above, there is only one feed for the inlet into the exhaust drive side of the turbo, and for good reason, Ak's systems didn't use a dual exhaust, they ran a large diameter single exhaust and kept the under pan cross over feed from one exhaust manifold to the other, then, out the back.

Another thing I remember is that this system doesn't like high flow, no restriction mufflers. Things like glass-paks and Flow Master's don't work well with them. We used to use a Walker replacement of a Corvair turbo muffler on these single exhaust systems, sounded good, worked excellent. A 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 inch system works well for it. No turn down right out of the muffler, run the tail pipe out the rear of the car.

The main things to remember with this system are, stay conservative in your component selection, someone insists you it needs a 5 inch exhaust on it, thank them, and walk away, and, don't expect 700 horsepower from it, you won't get it.

Last edited by HEI451; 11-04-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #15
jorgezee1

Here is a pic of the of the Truck this will be going in. 1963 Chevy C10, 3 speed on the tree. needs a bit of work, but it's getting there a little at a time.

The Turbo does not have a waste gate on the exhaust housing, it uses the IMPCO valve that limits boost, I am still debating on what to do. I will most likely weld a external waste gate in between the cross over pipe coming from the other exhaust manifold and the turbo manifold, and remove the IMPCO valve on the intake hat and just blow right thru it. I have been talking to Eric about possible propane conversion and using a IMPCO 425 carb and convertion the system in a blow-thru system instead of a draw thru setup, but I think I'll stay with the gas setup for now I can always switch to propane.

Turbo exhaust housing, I'll take picks of the system mocked up his weekend.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #16
jorgezee1

HEI451, thank you for all the info. once I mock it up maybe you can chime in on some of the routing of vacuum hose and such. I'll take pics this weekend. the turbo and carb are dis-assembled but I can get it almost completely mocked up

Thanks,
Jorge
Old 11-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #17
kikkegek

cool! I am gonna follow your build. Turbo's are the sh1t!
kikkegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #18
HEI451
Account Suspended

I go a different route now. If it were mine, I'd build a bracket to mount the intake side of the turbo to the front of the engine, remove the exhaust side of it, and run it via belt from the crankshaft, NOT the exhaust system.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #19
3r!c84
Badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEI451 View Post
I go a different route now. If it were mine, I'd build a bracket to mount the intake side of the turbo to the front of the engine, remove the exhaust side of it, and run it via belt from the crankshaft, NOT the exhaust system.
They call that a super charger..
Posted via Mobile Device

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #20
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3r!c84 View Post
They call that a super charger..
Posted via Mobile Device
2nd that....but to go that route, to me it would be worth cutting the hood, to let that pair of 4 brls & that fat belt be SHOWN! crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #21
jorgezee1

Here are some pics of a somewhat mock up. Since I am currently rebuilding the turbo and carb I could not bolt it all up. This should give an idea of what it should look like.

Hers the exhaust routing

Here is where I plan on putting a external wast gate. in between the lower mount and pipe

Here is the turbo taken a part before cleaning and rebuild. I will be media blasting the housing and center section, I am also sending the turbine wheels to get cleaned and balanced. So far the rebuild kit was 115.00 and the balance will run 35.00 and media blast about 20.00.

and here is a pic I found on the web of AK Miller Chevy Kit with a 2 barrel carb

Old 06-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #22
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Did you ever get this installed?

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:27 AM   #23
kikkegek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riveted1 View Post
Did you ever get this installed?
I'd like to know too. pretty cool stuff...
kikkegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #24
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Cool setup. Did you get it running?

My dad was friends with Ak back in the 70's & 80's. I had the pleasure of riding with him in one of his turbo charged Mercury Capri's in 1983 (I was a kid). If I remember right, it had a Boss 351 with a single turbo running on propane. It was crazy quick. My dad designed turbos at Garrett and they worked on a few projects together. Mostly they talked and tinkered. I can remember him coming to the house for dinner a few times.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #25
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

OP hasn't been on since April. Hopefully he will come back and give an update. Would sure like to know how this turned out!

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote