The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2002, 01:52 PM   #1
Jmac05
L.E.D. Tail lights, Baby!

general info for those new to cars in general

I though it might be nice to have an ongoing post to give information to those who are just getting started with auto repair/resto in general, like me.
Example:
If your engine is running a little hot, check your coolant/water ratio. The more water you have, the cooler the engine will run. But, the radiator will rust quicker with more water. It comes down to what you are in more need of. It was aroung 100 degrees over the weekend. On Saturday, I was getting too close for my comfort to the red area on the temp gauge on the freeway. When I got hom, I took out some coolant, and put in more water. Problem solved! The word "coolant" is kind of misleading
Anyone else have anything else that may not be as common knowledge to newbies?
If interested, visit:
www.earlyclassic.com
or our website:
www.jmcled.com
All 67-72 GM Taillights are on sale untill 5 p.m. on Dec
15th, with Guaranteed Christmas delivery!

joel.mcwaters@jmcled.com
Jmac05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 02:33 PM   #2
Alex

The best coolant you can use is straight water. The anti-freeze serve as just that and also to prevent rusting. So, it's a compromise.
Old 09-23-2002, 02:35 PM   #3
Spoof

What ever you do don't use gasoline in your radiator.
Old 09-23-2002, 02:41 PM   #4
buttons_rt

Smile i would be wary...

I can understand your logic about having your motor run cooler with more water, but i believe there is a reason....

when you run your truck in hot weather (i saw you're from california) it expands the fluid mix of coolant and water ( i presume you run @ 50/50 mixture) and spills into the resevoir and then sucks it back up when the engine cools. This effectively "steams" the water out of the mixture so in effect you eventually have a lower water content and the fluid is not as efficient . Apparently water evaporates faster than coolant....

when you add the needed water back in the fluid is now back to peak heat dissapation effeciency.

Try running your truck with straight water in hot weather (joking)

I would ASSUME that it does not cool as efficiently as with a mixture of coolant/water....i have never tried.

Note: i am not a mechanic this is just my opinion on what might be occuring in your cooling system...

comments??

bye
buttons_rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 03:35 PM   #5
Michael A. K. G

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
The best coolant you can use is straight water. The anti-freeze serve as just that and also to prevent rusting. So, it's a compromise.
No. The most efficient coolant in a liquid state is water. The trick is keeping it in a liquid state. Antifreeze ALSO has the function of raising the boiling point. 100% water will boil away if the engine runs a LITTLE hot, especially if the radiator cap is leaking (rather common).

67-72 trucks don't have overflow bottles. 73-on trucks do, but evaporation out of that should be minimal if it is properly sealed.

Generally, people are told to watch the specific gravity because they top the radiator off with water, making it excessively diluted.

The rule of thumb in warm climates (especially desert) is at least 30% antifreeze, 70% DISTILLED water.

Last edited by Michael A. K. G; 09-23-2002 at 03:37 PM.
Michael A. K. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 03:38 PM   #6
COBALT

Oh, there's a TON of stuff. I think we've talked about putting a tech forum for basic "How-To" stuff in the message board. I know there's one on the main website, but it would be nice to have one on this level.

Big thing I would think would be important is learning first how to maintain what's on the truck to begin with, like how to reseal transmissions, or replace U-joints, or replace intake manifold gaskets, and reseal transmissions. The easiest things are how to pack wheel bearings and seal axles...

Beyond that is basic modifications and larger projects like rebuilding front ends...
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 07:39 AM   #7
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

You can buy "Water Wetters" which are a liquid you add to your coolant that improves the thermal efficiency of your coolant. Not sure of any brand's over there, but I believe they work well.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 08:43 AM   #8
Newby 69 GMC

I agree with the idea of having a thread with info for people new to the restore area. And I like Cobalt's idea of a whole forum just for that but will the senior members still visit it and help us like they do now?

I know I have asked for people to put up a list of steps to get started with when you are starting your first restoration project.

I wish there was a good article on the main page that gave some ideas to get started and some common mistakes to avoid. I am sure I will still make lots of my own mistakes but if I avoided 1 I would be happy.

Trevor

Also own

88 4X4 Toyota P/U
01 Toyota RAV 4
Newby 69 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 10:44 AM   #9
Stout72
Not my good side.

Regarding the water/antifreeze issue, I just read that distilled water promotes electrolysis, which will slowly eat aluminum manifolds and other non-ferrous metals. Tap water is not so good either as it contains lots of crud, especially calcium, which deposits on the interior surfaces of the water passages due to heat, and affects the transfer of heat from the hot engine to the coolant. They say deionized water is best. Pure and electrically neutral.

I like COBALT's idea of the "How-To" forum. I think the senior members and those in-the know about certain subjects will participate. Just about everything I've read here demonstrates board members' willingness to help others.
79 Yamaha XS1100 Special (Ol' Reliable)
Stout72 is offline   Reply With Quote