The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2023, 05:54 AM   #1
AllGoNoShow

Steering Column and Rack and Pinion question...

For those that have swapped over to rack and pinion steering- did you use a stock length steering column? I see that Ididit sells a "stock length" steering column, but then also a "rack and pinion" steering column which is 5-6 inches shorter which they allege makes the u-joint angles less severe.

I have an original style steering box in my '68 and am in the market for an aftermarket tilt column, but I would eventually like to swap over to a rack and pinion (but it will be a year or two). I originally figured I would just get the short rack and pinion steering column now from Ididit (then just make a longer steering shaft to connect to my existing steering box-then have it for when I swap over to a R&P setup), but when I called and spoke to Ididit, then recommended against using their shorter rack and pinion steering column with a steering box (and I never got a firm understandable answer on why).

Just wondering what you guys with rack and pinion set-ups are doing as far as steering columns are concerned (or if my original idea is fine). Let me know what you think.
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 08:42 AM   #2
Joyridin

Re: Steering Column and Rack and Pinion question...

I don't have the original front end, but I do have a rack and pinion and went with a 30" column. That is about the shortest you can go if you want to keep the column shift. Without column shift, maybe another 1" shorter?

Most of the aftermarket set-ups use a Mustang rack and pinion, so there isn't a ton of different ways to mount it or change the location. I was able to use a 1 piece shaft from the column to the rack, but I have seen many people go with a 2 piece.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:09 PM   #3
AllGoNoShow

Thanks (the shorter R&P from Ididit is 30” from my understanding). Do you have pictures of your steering shaft hook up? I’m surprised you could get it done with one shaft.

Any other replies from what other guys with a rack are running?
Posted via Mobile Device
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 07:40 PM   #4
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
Thanks (the shorter R&P from Ididit is 30” from my understanding). Do you have pictures of your steering shaft hook up? I’m surprised you could get it done with one shaft.

Any other replies from what other guys with a rack are running?
Posted via Mobile Device
Here you go. As I stated, I have an aftermarket coilover suspension, but the rack and column should sit in the same place as yours.
Attached Images

Last edited by Joyridin; 03-07-2023 at 07:46 PM.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote