The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2017, 09:37 AM   #1
zachste

Rear spring mount replacement

So I noticed I had some of the notorious "Chevy lean" going on so I started taking some measurements and digging deeper. This is when I found the upper spring mount looks to be pretty rusted on the rear driver side. The spring looks like it's pushed into the mount due to the rust. Is there anyone who makes a bolt in replacement of that mount/bracket? Would the tubular rear trailing arm kit that CPP sells work and replace that upper mount?
The 2nd and 3rd pictures are of the driver side rear spring mount/perch. The last picture is of the passenger side rear spring mount/perch.
Attached Images

Last edited by zachste; 07-31-2017 at 11:17 AM.
zachste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
Love 70 Chevys

Re: Rear spring mount replacement

Your pictures would not display on my computer, but are you talking about the leaf spring mounts? On my '70 K10, I am in need of a rear leaf spring mount. The factory mounts are riveted to the frame, and I would love to find a bolt in replacement if there is such an animal! I have not come across one yet.
Love 70 Chevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:18 AM   #3
zachste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love 70 Chevys View Post
Your pictures would not display on my computer, but are you talking about the leaf spring mounts? On my '70 K10, I am in need of a rear leaf spring mount. The factory mounts are riveted to the frame, and I would love to find a bolt in replacement if there is such an animal! I have not come across one yet.
Photobucket is failing me. Pics are fixed. I have a trailing arm/spring truck.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:40 AM   #4
Grumpy old man

doesn't look like rust , it looks like a glob of undercoating . get out a flat blade screw driver and start digging away at it to get a clear look at the bare metal .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
zachste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
doesn't look like rust , it looks like a glob of undercoating . get out a flat blade screw driver and start digging away at it to get a clear look at the bare metal .
I wish it was just under coating. But there are parts that are rusted through and looks almost like a split in the bracket. I don't think I got a picture of that though. Here's a picture looking up into it.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2017, 09:57 PM   #6
zachste

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedemon View Post
its possible you might find a new one I haven't seen any personally I'm betting someone here has one they will sell
So to follow up I did some more measuring. It looks like the difference in the compressed length of the springs is nearly identical to the amount of "lean" the truck has. So hopefully that's the culprit. May try to swap the springs around and see if it follows the spring, but I also think it's because the driver side spring is pushed into that upper mount due to rust, so replacing that may bring that side up.

Last edited by LockDoc; 08-01-2017 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:05 AM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachste View Post
So to follow up I did some more measuring. It looks like the difference in the compressed length of the springs is nearly identical to the amount of "lean" the truck has. So hopefully that's the culprit. May try to swap the springs around and see if it follows the spring, but I also think it's because the driver side spring is pushed into that upper mount due to rust, so replacing that may bring that side up.

Check on the parts board, there a quite a few people parting out trucks. You can't post a "want to buy" but if you see any frame parts for sale you can buy them. If you become a "Premium" member you can post a WTB on the parts board. If you click on the word "Subscribe" in the menu bar at the top of this page it will list the different subscription options.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote