The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
chevy69chevelle

65 C20 frame-off resto

To start at the beginning, I need a truck to haul some of my toys as our Colorado just isn't up for the task, I toyed with the idea of getting a classic and found one with a fairly decent body. Went to the us to look at it and figured with a minor floor patch, disc brakes, motor/tranny, paint I would have a solid truck... so here it begins...
I picked up an 87 k5 for the tbi 350 and wiring, and a rebuilt 2wd 700r4 out of a 93 for the project before I even picked the truck up..

This is the pictures from the craigslist add

Got it home

pressure washed it

after what I found lying under the primer I decided to do a more thorough check of the truck, didn't look too bad underneath, new floor supports for sure.

then I noticed the rust free rockers were screwed on top of the rusted out ones(forgot the pics as I was shocked, but at least I have those patch panels) Now It's getting a frame-off(which I have never done, so hopefully with help of the factory service manuals, friends, and this forum it will go smoothly), so I started ripping the interior apart this last weekend

and that's how it currently sits. Next weekend I hope to remove the factory power brake set up, remove the old wood, remove the front clip piece by piece and get ready to remove the cab and box.
chevy69chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
Bomp

Re: 65 C20 frame-off resto

Welcome to the forum.
Truck looks like a nice project.
This is a great place for info.
Lots of pics help too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
McMurphy

wow, another Bar-Bouy.

Looks like you are going to have a lot of fun on this one !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
1963c-10

Welcome, great looking truck. Looks like you have some rust repair ahead of you. PO did the same w/my rockers. Ill be doing cab supports, rockers and cab corners also. The rust repair over the windshield will be fun. The front clip will remove in one piece and can be removed by two guys.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
chevy69chevelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Welcome to the forum.
Truck looks like a nice project.
This is a great place for info.
Lots of pics help too.
Posted via Mobile Device
There will be lots of pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
wow, another Bar-Bouy.

Looks like you are going to have a lot of fun on this one !!
after a quick google search, ya! I think I'm going to put it back when I'm done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
Welcome, great looking truck. Looks like you have some rust repair ahead of you. PO did the same w/my rockers. Ill be doing cab supports, rockers and cab corners also. The rust repair over the windshield will be fun. The front clip will remove in one piece and can be removed by two guys.
That I do(have some rust repair ahead of me)! my cab corners are being done as well I am assuming, will find out when I get a bit deeper into it. I looked at a few in canada around my area. but they were all too far gone, this one I had to import and had no motor but was a better starting point.

once the Windshield is out and I blast it I will see how bad it is, I have a buddy who has restored a few vehicles and went to school for body work who is looking at it tomorrow, I might pawn some of the patch work off to him.

I'm aware of the front clip being able to be removed in one piece, I do appreciate the tip though I will be cleaning up the pieces separate, repainting everything before it gets reassembled. That way I don't miss any rust, and It won't haunt me in the future!(I work for an industrial paint shop, so sandblasting and painting is the free/easy part )
Old 03-19-2013, 12:14 AM   #6
chevy69chevelle

I pretty well got the truck ready to pull the box and cab off.
cleaned out the old wood

Rockers

Cut the rockers off

and this is how she sits now.

haha, check out my extendable bumper

guy down the road is giving me a parts truck, there's not much left of it, but it has a rear sliding window, antenna(mines missing), drivers vent window is complete(mine is missing the lock), rear step bumper looks to be in excellent shape, and some misc pieces. My rear dif doesn't appear to have the detroit no slip, maybe the rear in the parts truck will(or I may just go with a 14 bolt posi unit if not)

and so far I have 1 of the column bracket mount bolts with stripped threads, top fuse panel bolt snapped, and one of the seat bolts snapped. I'm surprised how easy this all came apart. oh ya, and the head on one of the battery bolts was to worn/rusty for the socket to bite, hammered a 12mm on and that did the trick.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
da_bears_da1

Welcome aboard. 6 months ago I was at this same phase on my 65 Step side. Couple of thoughts based on my experience so far. Take pictures of everything before and after you take anything apart. I did not take enough pictures and am now having to research a lot. Bag and tag all small parts. I had a couple of guys helping me in the beginning and they did bag but did not tag..not much fun looking at a bag of bolts and wondering what they are.
When you get to patching, realize the after market replacement panels are only a starting point. Not one of them has gone in without modification. I also found that cutting as little as possible out is best. Use as much of you original metal and as little of the patch panels as possible.
Hope this helps! Enjoy the project. It's very addictive!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=566533
da_bears_da1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
chevy69chevelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_bears_da1 View Post
Welcome aboard. 6 months ago I was at this same phase on my 65 Step side. Couple of thoughts based on my experience so far. Take pictures of everything before and after you take anything apart. I did not take enough pictures and am now having to research a lot. Bag and tag all small parts. I had a couple of guys helping me in the beginning and they did bag but did not tag..not much fun looking at a bag of bolts and wondering what they are.
When you get to patching, realize the after market replacement panels are only a starting point. Not one of them has gone in without modification. I also found that cutting as little as possible out is best. Use as much of you original metal and as little of the patch panels as possible.
Hope this helps! Enjoy the project. It's very addictive!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the pointers, I have been putting most of the bolts back in as I take them out, that way it keeps paint out of the treads and the heads get done as well. And all the wiring I have been marking where it plugs in and what to.

I will have to keep that in mind about use as little of the patch as I can, I would have done the opposite thinking the more new steel the better. Hopefully all goes well
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
da_bears_da1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy69chevelle View Post
Thanks for the pointers, I have been putting most of the bolts back in as I take them out, that way it keeps paint out of the treads and the heads get done as well. And all the wiring I have been marking where it plugs in and what to.

I will have to keep that in mind about use as little of the patch as I can, I would have done the opposite thinking the more new steel the better. Hopefully all goes well
Posted via Mobile Device
Good plan on the bolts, I just did not trust the sandblaster.

I also thought more metal was the right approach and did that on the passenger side; was the first one we repaired. It was a pain in the @$&. I did a lot of reading on this forum and found numerous posts that said to use as little as possible. When we did the driver's side. We had it done in 1/2 the time with a lot less welding and grinding.

One other thought, if you have not checked out the FAQ yet you should. Section 2 has been tremendously helpful to me. This is my first frame off on a 60-66 truck and the FAQ is great.

Take you time and have fun!

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=566533
da_bears_da1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
1963c-10

Can you post some more pics of the fatory custom seat that was in it?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
chevy69chevelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
Can you post some more pics of the fatory custom seat that was in it?

If you want any different ones, let me know.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #12
chevy69chevelle

Stripping down a car so I can send it to the crusher today, then I have dinner with the g/f's family. Tomorrow I am helping a buddy move then bringing my '01 Jimmy home from where it's currently stored(sas project I started a while ago then started too many other projects while looking for parts so put that project on hold, stupid Craigslist...)so won't get anything don on the C20 this weekend.

I did however order my power steering adapter plate from CaptainFab so I can hopefully get my frame ready for paint next weekend.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #13
chevy69chevelle

It's been a little while since I've updated, been really busy and not much time to work on my truck, but here it goes..

guy down the road gave me a parts truck(aluminum step bump is the only thing I can really use haha)

Got my cab off the frame

spot blaster some of the areas of concern and the concerns came into reality..

I completely blasted the cab but didnt get a pic because I was a little upset on the condition, the firewall to cowl area was the worst, Its primed at the shop now, might snap a pic if someone wants...

time to find a better cab!!!!

and I found one! blasted and off to a buddy for patch work(this one needs floor supports, inner/outer rockers, lower kick panel, cab corners) I may snap a few pics when I drop my other cab off at his place for reference if he needs it, or so use to cut pieces off of if he has to.

and I have my rear cab mounts from 4-5-6 chevy(never by from them again..) and my power steering adapter from captainfab(awesome guy to deal with).. I also have a vortec 350 and vortec-tbi intake.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #14
LT1 Burb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy69chevelle View Post
It's been a little while since I've updated, been really busy and not much time to work on my truck, but here it goes..

guy down the road gave me a parts truck(aluminum step bump is the only thing I can really use haha)

Got my cab off the frame

spot blaster some of the areas of concern and the concerns came into reality..

I completely blasted the cab but didnt get a pic because I was a little upset on the condition, the firewall to cowl area was the worst, Its primed at the shop now, might snap a pic if someone wants...

time to find a better cab!!!!

and I found one! blasted and off to a buddy for patch work(this one needs floor supports, inner/outer rockers, lower kick panel, cab corners) I may snap a few pics when I drop my other cab off at his place for reference if he needs it, or so use to cut pieces off of if he has to.

and I have my rear cab mounts from 4-5-6 chevy(never by from them again..) and my power steering adapter from captainfab(awesome guy to deal with).. I also have a vortec 350 and vortec-tbi intake.

I have sent about 15 trucks upto Vancouver and have a real decent 3/4 ton with very very little rust I will make you a deal on. The trip would be less than one rocker panel repair.
Attached Images

LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote