The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2004, 05:18 PM   #1
dubie

Replacing ball joints

What is all involved in replacing upper and lower ball joints in my 72? The uppers look like they are rivotted to the A arm, is this a factory thing? Do any of them need to be pressed out?

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 05:22 PM   #2
1971 Cheyenne

The uppers are riveted in. These can be chiseled off or drilled out. a royal PITA. The lowers just have to be pressed in and out. A good machine shop will just charge you a few bucks to do this, but you have to take the lower a-arms out to take them to the shop. They make ball joint removal/installation tools, which are like c clamps with the right adapters to fit over the ball joint.
1983 M1009 CUCV Military K5 Blazer
1981 Dodge 1 ton 4x4 dually flatbed
1971 Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 06:04 PM   #3
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

You might check the auto parts stores,the ones here will rent the tools to do th bottoms ones,and a grinder makes shrt work of the rivets.The new uppers just bolt in place.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 08:57 PM   #4
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Easiest way I have found to remove the rivets on the uppers is with an angle grinder. Grind off the head, then punch the rivet through.

Also, if the ball joints have been in for quite a while, there is a tool that fits between the studs, allowing you to press studs off of the spindle. A lot easier than using a picle fork.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 05:26 AM   #5
shadetree

This thread might do better in the suspension forum, but, I can't resist sharring my shadetree lower ball joint tool idea. I support the A frame with a piece of steel pipe, about 2" in dia, under the ball joint. Then I use a smaller piece of pipe around the stud of the ball, to beat the joint out of the A frame. It ain't pretty, but it works, and it's cheap.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:14 AM   #6
Sublvr72
Account Suspended

i am with the grinding of the factory upper rivets, and the lower is a press in, press out job.
Sublvr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 06:29 AM   #7
1972C10
Account Suspended

I change my own balljoints from start to stop No way i would remove the lower a arm and take it to a shop ..

What i do is remove the spindle or hang it up out of the way and put a jack under the lower a arm but not beneath the ball joint

Then take a BFH and knock the old ball joint out can be pretty simple sometimes takes awhile./.

To install the new one Do not put the grease fitting on yet.

Clean the hole with a die grinder with a wire brush or something similar.

then take the new ball joint and place it in the hole and take a bottle jack and jack the a arm off your other jack putting a slight amount of the truck onto the bottle jack thats under the ball joint

Then take a hammer say 40 oz or bigger and hit the lower a arm around the ball joint starting on the side do the right side then left the front then back untill its seated then install grease fitting

That way has worked for me since i was 16 so far i havent damaged anything and seems to work as good as any other method ..

You can get a little press that you operate with an impact or rachet but i have never used one and cant say as to how good they work .. I wouldnt buy one maybe if someone had one to lend me i would try it but im confident in my method..

And the grinder on the rivets works best no matter where the rivets are ball joints frame pieces . Just get a punch that will knock them out you want a blunt tipped punch say 5/16 DIA.
1972C10 is offline   Reply With Quote