The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
mainermikeyd

Dana 44 rub

Well I replaced my upper and lower ball joints recently (less than 1000 miles) and now I have noticed that on a extremely tight right hand turn the left tie rod rubs my factory steel wheels and the wheel weights. Whether they are GM steel wheels I am unsure they were on it when I bought the truck 4 years ago and now I only use them go my winter tires, the tires don't really matter but they are Baja Claw 33x12.5x16.5, anyone else have a similar problem?? Also if the truck sits on level pavement the bottom of the tire tilts in and the tire is tilted out, thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
1986 c30 camper special 454, th400 (for sale)
1984 K10 Big Ten (project) needs motor
1984 C10 355, 700r4, (project) needs shortbox bed
mainermikeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Dana 44 rub

The tires pointing "out" is because the "toe" setting is off. You have what is called "toe-out". This is a simple fix that can be done right in the driveway. Simply adjusting the tie rod shorter brings the toe in.

The tire tilted in at the bottom is a bit more of an issue, but it really depends upon how much tilt. "Slight" and "equal from side to side" is normal, anything else indicates that something is bent. Unfortunately that is not an easy fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote